Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

CHAPTER E: THIS IS THE END

I love that song.

'The End', by the Doors. As soon as I could, I had bought a huge poster of Jim Morrison and pasted it over one of the walls in my apartment. I still remember how shocked I was when Fanu told me that he had never heard a Doors song before. I made him listen to a few tunes, but he lost interest, saying he liked 'newer music'.

But while I enjoyed listening to many of their songs, something was there about 'The End'. It seemed so much more than a song, as though calling it that was wrong, because then you give something, some basis to define it with, and I'd never want to even try that with this song.

That night, when Fanu was murdered, Tito and I had gone drinking for the first time together. He took me to some sleazy bar at the corner of the end of some alley, I didn't even care then where it was. All I could think of was his smile.

"You and I, we have lost a brother and a friend today." He said, his eyes red and tired. "Monki, tonight we drink in his name. We honor him."

I nodded dumbly, too in shock to say a word. We entered the bar and Tito ordered us two whiskeys. We downed them, and downed the next lot as well. The liquor was tough, and I could feel my chest warm, putting life back into me -Shame we can't say the same for Fanu, hmm?-.

Music was playing in the background, some woman singing some crap. After a while that was all I could think about, that fucking bitch who just kept on going higher and higher and-

"WILL SOMEONE CHANGE THE FUCKING MUSIC, GODDAMMIT! PLAY SOME PROPER MUSIC,  NOT SOME BITCH TRYING TO BE THE CHINESE BRITTANY SPEARS!"

The pub fell silent, all staring at me in open astonishment. I didn't care. Fanu had died, you jackasses, and all they could do is look at me. Wordlessly, Tito grabbed me by the arm, and strode me towards the jukebox. I was surprised when I saw the little machine, not expecting to find one here.

"And why not?" Tito said, sensing my surprise. "We listen to good music too, not just Chinese Brittany Spears."

He smiled at me. I couldn't smile back. Instead I shoved in a coin and looked. It was there, it was me. I know he hated it, but I still played it, leaning into the machine as the music took over. I finished my drink, my hand was held loosely by my side. The glass fell from my hand, hitting the carpeted floor with a dull thunk. I could still see his smile.

I began to cry.

That was the first time I had wept tears for a member of the Triad. I was not alone. We killed, robbed, extorted and blackmailed. But we did it as a family. After that, I was alone, on my own for five months, doing the same rounds that Fanu and I once did, but on my own.

Of course, Money objected. "The Triads must always travel together. To travel alone is to die alone."

I looked at him straight in the eye. "Your sister does it."

"Bùyào ràng wǒ kāishǐ zài tā shēnshang,Monki. I let her do so, because I know that she will not die."

"And the fact that she wouldn't listen to you."

Money grimaced. "That too. But you are not my little sister, Monki, you are a Cǎoxié, a Straw Sandal. It is dangerous for your kind to be alone. Take a partner. I insist."

"Half a year." I said. "Give me half a year on my own, and if I'm still alive by the end of it, then you can assign me with whoever you want. I won't care, and I'll accept a partner then."

Money took one long, hard look at me. "Six months." Then he left.

This was the last of those six months. So far I had killed fourteen people, established three new fronts for the gang in the Swu Kon District, and made almost a million dollars. Money was happy with my work, and I moved up the ranks. Still a Straw Sandal, but now I had a car, a bigger apartment in a nicer part of town, and three men under me.

Roll Call:
  1. Han. Spoke eight words a day, but each one would be important enough to hear. Han was a good shot with a gun, maybe even better than Fanu was. He also carried a switchblade with him, that he would play with when he was bored. I saw that blade dance through his fingers with ease. He could also throw lethally as I had once seen it dart across the room and hit his target dead center. An apple on top of  Shui's trembling head.
  2. Shui. My number two guy. Literally. I don't know what it was about me, but from day one the kid held me like a role model in his eyes. Unlike Han, who was in his twenties, Shui couldn't have been more than seventeen, and had joined the Triad because he had nowhere else to go. Almost useless with a gun, but he made up with enthusiasm. Which is why he always ended up as target practice for
    Han.
  3. Tanki. Tanki was a giant, easily over six-and-a-half feet tall, maybe more. Biggest China-man I have seen in my life. Which was an advantage, because I knew that he had a shotgun taped to his leg. Fuck, he was so big, that he had enough room for an RPG. Plus, two pistols by his waist, and a third one on his ankle. Add a few grenades to the mix, and you got a giant, walking talking arsenal. And he was bald. Very noticeable on a giant China-man.
Money called me into his office at the end of six months. These three stood there silently. I ignored them and walked straight up to Money.

"You called."

He spoke without looking up, eyes scanning through some document. "Your six months are over, Monki. As agreed, these three men will now work under you. Lead them well."

"Hold on, Money!" I exclaimed. "You've seen how good I've been on my own these past months. Do I really need a partner? And you said one, not three! Three is too many, I won't know how to- wait... did you say under me?"

Money finally looked up. He was smiling. "Yes. You have your own crew now, my friend. Far away from living on the streets now, aren't we?"

"Not really, no." I grumbled, but Money could tell I was honored and thrilled by this. Not have someone work with you, but under you. That too, not one but three someones!

First thing I did was take 'em to the nearest Pub, deep in our territory. From the way they behaved, I knew that Han and Tanki had been here before, but Shui looked like this was his first time in a bar. When the bartender came over to ask, the others all knew what to order, but Shui just looked confused.

"Get him a beer." I spoke to the bartender, who politely bowed and went to get our drinks. Han and Tanki looked at me, impressed. They had been here many times as well, but the bartender had never bowed to either of them even once.

"That's because he had a debt problem, and I took care of it. So now for me, and since you're with me now, you as well, drinks are on the house."

Tell a man he's getting free booze, and all the walls come crashing down. Soon, we were all piss drunk and laughing as Tank tried his hand on Karaoke. He could actually sing quite well, but he was so drunk that the words were a slur and there were more abuses in the lyric than I could remember in the original.

After a long time, it was a good night.

My men were a good team. They listened to me, and had enough brains to realize what to do when improvisations were needed, which in our line of work, happens quite often. If anything, Shui was still a lousy shot, but then so was I. Practice makes perfect.

Balls. You're still a lousy shot.

I'd almost forgotten about that.-Forgotten about me?- By now, I was used to the fact that there was a voice in my head -What the fuck do you mean you'd almost forgotten about me?- that was not in my control. But I had come to terms with it -Oh no, don't think I've forgotten about you almost forgetting about me-. I mean, what, else could I do? The funny thing is, once I did that, the voice wasn't a bother anymore -what?-, it had become something like white noise.

All right, now that is pushing it. You want white noise? I'll show you white noise.


That day was one of my worst. Ever.

There is a lesson to be learned  from this. If you have a voice in your head that has its own consciousness, the last thing you should ever do is fucking underestimate it.

Despite the fact that I had spent so long in the Triads, I still hadn't won the respect of the complete gang. I'd done my fair share, heck, probably more than my fair share, but there aren't many people in the Chinese Mafia who are comfortable accepting an Indian into their midst. Money loved me, which meant I wouldn't end up as a corpse due to 'internal politics'. But there was no doubting the look in their eyes.

Which was fine. I wasn't here to be loved. I had been accepted, and that was enough for me. All I cared about was doing the next job. My three were loyal to me, and I had the respect of Tito and a few others. But for the most, I was more an outsider than anything else.


Did you get that? Good, I had to make him say it. It makes whats coming next easier to understand. And I know this cunt would do a bang-ass job of explaining it, so I decided I'd do it instead. Plus, he didn't do any of this.


I did.


And he deserved it. The pussy was trying to be a man. The fucker doesn't even realize it was me who pulled the trigger that day, not him. He never had the balls, and I didn't wanna fuckin' die. And he had taken his own sweet time doing this, he'd gotten too lazy, AND HE'S GIVING ME BULLSHIT ON TOP OF THAT! ME! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT LITTLE SONOFABITCH!


He needs to remember his place.


I woke up that day and smiled. This was gonna be so much of fun. I knew exactly what I was gonna do, and I was gonna take my own time enjoying every single moment of it. I looked to my side. I'd already bought all the shit that I had needed, and now I just had to make a few calls.




TRANSLATED FROM CHINESE


"Tanki?"

"Yeah? Morning, Boss."

"I need to meet all three of you today, fast. Meet me in an hour by the warehouse in the harbor. You remember which one, right?"

"Yeah, Boss, I know the one. See you at Victoria by noon."
"Don't be late."



I love the sea. Everything about it. I could hide a million bodies in the water and they'd never be found. Hell, I'd even drown half of them in it. Some I'll shoot, others I'll beat 'em the fuck to death. Lotta bodies, lotta ways to kill 'em. But I'd drown half of 'em. I'd owe the sea that much.

Behind me, I heard the car come to a halt. I turned around before they could even get out of the car, the M4 in my hands ripping through the cheap Japanese car, tearing the people inside to shreds. I'll admit, I was a bit impressed. Han was actually fast enough to throw his bloody knife at me, the bitch caught me in the arm. But the spray of fire was enough. I pulled the knife out and let it fall to the ground. Walking up to the bullet-riddled car, I then caught my second surprise.

Shui was still alive. He had been sitting at the back, and the huge frame of Tanki in front of him had taken most of the bullets. But the puddle of blood forming in his lap, showed how good a shot I was, not that cunt. I smiled as I could see tears of pain in his eyes. Scratch that, Shui was a little girl, it could have been just tears as well. He looked at him in disbelief, not understanding what his hero was doing.

"Mon- Monki-san... Why... W-Why did y-you..."

I chuckled to myself and opened Tanki's door, leaning over him, fiddling around until the car was back in neutral. Then getting out, I went to the back and heaved, pushing harder and harder until the car rolled down the harbor and tipped over the edge. My chuckling grew louder as I could hear Shui screaming for help as the car filled with water. They stopped when he began to pray. The humor was lost, it always is when some cunt brings religion into the scene.


I turned away, no longer interested and walked to my car. There was still something else I had to do.

The first few were easy. They all knew me well by know, and all had their guards down. Slit one's throat, break the neck of the others, knife the third... I could make a poem on this.


"Oh, the first one's throat became drenched in red,
 The second one's got a broken head,
The third's pinned by a knife to the door,
And what shall I do with number four?"

These corridors were empty, and I walked through them fast. That cunt always took his sweet time here, staring at each crappy painting like it's some work of art.


Art is for pansies.

But I stopped suddenly, right outside her door. I since this bitch only twice since day one, but the boy was right, she was a hot piece of ass... Hmm...
 
What the hell, why not?

I kicked the door down and marched straight in. She was there on her laptop, and she spun around in shock. Before she could even say a word, I slapped her hard, stunning her. Then grabbing her, I lifted Mei of the chair and threw the both of us on the bed, with me landing on top of her. She was still dazed while I fumbled with her clothes, and by the time she realized what was happening,

It was already too late.


I love the look she had in her eyes, I'll never forget it. Never forget a moment of it, the tears of rage, the furious struggling. She never gave up, not even once throughout the entire thing, I loved that about her as well.

When I was done, I punched her. Hard. Drifting in-and-out of consciousness, she could barely move as I calmly got up and did my pants. I then took out the Colt from its holster and pointed it straight at her head. 

But I then decided against it. She had been fun. And who knows? I may visit Hong Kong again.

As I was at the door, she finally was able to speak.

"Kill you... I'll kill you."


I smiled. That line was enough for me to go for round two. But I had little time left, and I'd already wasted enough having fun. I burst into the corridor and ran down the steps. I pressed the elevator and got in, casually checking my gun to while the time.

The doors opened, and my three shots took out all three of Moni's bodyguards. My fourth hit him in the shoulder, making him drop the gun that would have taken my head off. The force of the bullet sent him staggering back, falling into a chair that rolled  slowly backwards on its wheels until it lightly touched the huge window behind it.


He looked at me in blind rage. "Which one?" He said. "Which Triad bought you over? Or were you always a Pàntú?"

I smiled. "Oh no, Moni, I'm not anyone's bitch. I'm just here to teach someone a lesson. And you'd be the perfect example for him."


My next bullet went into his knee. He howled in pain clutching the wound with his good hand.


"You.. you are a dead man." He whispered through the pain. "Nothing can stop the family from finding you."


I put my hands on each side of his chair, pulling it forward a bit. "I would really like, that Moni, I really would. Otherwise the future would be really fucking boring for me, don't ya think? By, the way, Moni, your sister was an awesome lay."


His face went blank as I pushed with all my strength. I couldn't hear clearly over the sound of breaking glass, but I think he was trying to say something as he flew out of the window. I'm not exactly sure what it was though. I think he said, 'You said my name right."

Goodbye Hong Kong. It was fun. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment