Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 19, 2010

TOO SHORT FOR A PROLOGUE...

Time changes too much. I looked up again as I saw the rain fall down on glass and steel. Towers and spires that bit into the sky. There was nothing here. Now, hundreds go about their daily lives. I stand amongst them, unmoving through their motions.

A daily life...

5 police forces chasing you. None still know your name.
Over a billion dollars made. Over a billion dollars stolen. Over a billion dollars lost.
6 friends still finding you. A single foe still hunting you. None still giving up.
And the whole world which was once my stage... (fucking Shakespeare)

A daily life would have been nice indeed.

They finally saw me. It took them long enough. I could have walked right past them without noticing, disappeared again into thin air. Heh, if I wanted to, I could have even killed them all. Bu that wasn't the plan, not anymore.

Tired. Hurt. I've had enough.

They began to walk briskly, and I could see the slight bulges at the waists and shoulders. Holsters. One of them in front quickly spoke into his wrist, before reaching into his jacket with his hand, keeping it there. Just in case.

At that moment, I was tempted, for just a flash, to spin around. To run like mad with the devil behind me. Looking back, I think that I always ended up enjoying the chases the most. The alleys, the marketplaces, those winding streets. Having a dozen men trying to kill you, or chasing that one rat bastard who somehow always managed to stay one bloody corner ahead! More than the sex, the money, the deals made-

The moment passed. And I remembered Jacinto's final words to me. They finally made sense.

Like magic, the colt fell into my palm. Almost wearily, I raised it to my head, the safety off and the trigger itching. I was surprised at how firm I gripped it. Years of practice had mad it a part of my arm, but I did not think my fears would have actually abandoned me at this moment. I was calm.

Ahead, they saw, realized what was going to happen, and began to run. Fast. As though it wasn't mine, but their lives on the the line. They were closer now, and I could see her clearly amongst them, trying hard to push herself to the front of the group... the fear in her eyes as she screamed for me to stop.

I gave a slight smile to myself. If I could have ever stopped myself, then none of this would have happened in the first place

But now that wouldn't have been any fun at all now, would it?

One last look at her.
And I close my eyes.
Inhale. Exhale.
Pull the trigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment